You have just purchased a new Roku device and are eager to use it. Do you need help pairing the Roku remote? A pairing button may not be present, or it may not be working. Because your Roku remote does not have a pairing button, you may wonder how to pair it.
Also read: How to Turn on Roku TV Without Remote?
There are a number of ways to pair your Roku remote with your TV other than using the pairing button. The Roku app on a smartphone or the TV control buttons can be used by users who wish to sync their remotes with Roku devices.
We need to understand what the Roku remote pairing button does in order to understand its purpose.
Why does my Roku remote have a pairing button?
Roku’s remote has a pairing button that makes connecting your device easy. Once connected, you can control the device remotely.
This button is typically found on the front of remote controls. Sometimes it can be found underneath the battery compartment as well.
A pairing button can be found on the remote. Once your devices are paired, you should see a light appear on top.
Roku remote sync without pairing button
The new Roku TV models do not have pairing buttons. They automatically pair when the remote is turned on.
If you use a Roku Stick device, however, you must pair it via a pairing button.
Connect your smartphone to the remote
As an added benefit, you no longer have to press the pairing button on your Roku remote to pair. You can control your Roku TV from the Roku app for smartphones.
A smartphone with WiFi will be your only requirement.
These steps need to be followed:
- It should be possible to download apps from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Roku is free to download.
- You must connect your smartphone and Roku to the same WiFi network in order to use Roku on your smartphone.
- Now, Roku can be accessed through the app. To access it, click Remote.
- Using the Remote option on a smartphone, you can control your Roku TV.
- Navigate your Android or iOS device to Settings, and then select Remotes and Devices on your TV.
- Last but not least, choose Pair New Device.
By default, your Roku device will scan compatible remotes. Providing the device is working properly, you should not have any problems.
If you are trying this method, it may not be possible to sync your Roku remote.
Also read: Roku Universal Remote codes
To sync the remote, select “Pair Remote”
Only if you have the ability to navigate through the settings without a remote control will you be able to use this option.
Here is what you need to do:
- You will see the home screen of your Roku device.
- Scroll down to find Settings.
- In the Settings menu, you can find the Remotes option.
- Go to the menu and select Pair Remote.
- The Roku device and remote should be able to pair automatically.
If your remote doesn’t pair automatically, there may be a problem. The Roku device can also be restarted or the remote can be troubleshot.
How to Fix Common Roku Remote Issues
It is extremely affordable and durable to own a Roku device or remote. Unfortunately, they do malfunction from time to time.
The remote isn’t working or synching
The most common Roku remote problems are frequent disconnections or no connection at all.
In that case, you have the following options:
- The first step is to restart your Roku device.
- The television should be turned off and unplugged.
- You must turn on the TV (not the remote) after unplugging it.
- Hold the button down for approximately two minutes.
- The TV can now be turned on and connected.
- It will be necessary to pair the remote again. Use the pairing button or follow the pairing steps described previously.
A Roku device and remote control should be able to communicate. If this does not work, try changing the batteries.
Restarting your TV may not require you to disconnect it from the device. It can be found under the System section of the Settings menu.
Overheating can cause internal problems in Roku remotes, as well as overheating.
The following steps must be taken when using a remote that gets too hot:
- If it becomes too hot, stop using it.
- Removing batteries is a good idea.
- A nonflammable surface should be chosen for the remote control.
- Ten to twenty minutes is sufficient.
- Batteries can be easily replaced.
Your remote should be replaced if it constantly overheats.
Where to Buy a New Roku Remote
Your old remote might need to be replaced if it doesn’t sync or malfunctions frequently.
It is not expensive and of good quality to purchase a universal model that works with almost any TV.
Online retailers like Amazon and eBay sell the Roku remote for under 11 USD. You can get the Roku remote from Roku directly as well.
Smart phones can be used to control Roku remotes. The Roku app can be downloaded for your smartphone and used to control your Roku remote. The Roku remote can never be lost if you always have it with you!
Also read: Remote Control Codes For ROKU TVs
Roku remotes can be paired with your TV in more ways than the pairing button. The pairing button may not be working on your remote or your remote may not have one.
In the absence of a pairing button on your Roku remote, follow these steps:
- By using the Roku App, you can connect Roku devices to smartphones.
- The settings of your TV can be accessed via your smartphone.
- Select Remotes and Devices from the Settings menu. Select Couple New Device.
- With that, your TV will be able to control Roku automatically.
You can sync your remote by selecting the Settings option from your TV’s Home Screen. Choose Pair Device to do so. The Roku remote will automatically establish a connection with your TV.
Would you like to know anything about pairing a Roku remote without using the pairing button?
Related: Cox Remote Not Working