With Sony’s voice-controlled remote controls, users can easily operate their TVs. Occasionally, however, the remotes may malfunction. What should you do if the remote control for your Sony TV malfunctions?
When your Sony TV remote is not working after one minute, you should remove the batteries. Replacing the batteries should solve the problem. Check your TV’s remote receiver for obstructions, and replace its batteries if they don’t work.
Also read: Why Does My TV Say No Signal?
Following are some troubleshooting steps you can try if the previous ones didn’t work. If the previous steps didn’t work, here are a few more.
How to troubleshoot your Sony Remote
Batteries should be replaced
A dead battery is usually the cause of remote control problems.
Before replacing batteries in your remotes, make sure you do the following:
- The remote must be disconnected from the wall and the power button pressed for a few seconds to troubleshoot. Doing so will remove any residual power from the remote.
- Once you have waited at least one minute, replace the batteries in the remote control.
- If you are unable to use the remote, try again.
It may be necessary to replace the old batteries if this does not work. The problem can be eliminated by replacing the batteries with new ones.
With the help of transmitters, remote controls provide information to TVs. The remote reads the signal coming from the television since the receiver is built right into it.
See if anything is blocking your TV’s receiver if the remote doesn’t work.
Get rid of any plants or picture frames on your TV stand or near it. In front of or close to the Sony TV, nothing should be placed.
In addition, you can get closer to your TV by shrinking the distance between it and the remote control.
Button on remote is unresponsive
The whole remote may not work sometimes, rather than just a few buttons.
If the button on your Sony remote isn’t working, you can use your smart phone and open up the camera to see if it’s broken. Use your remote to press the button.
When your smartphone’s infrared sensor is picked up by the remote, it will flash.
If the button doesn’t flash, it is probably jammed or broken. It may be possible to clear a jam by repeatedly pressing the button.
Your camera may need to be checked again if your smart phone’s IR sensor has stopped working.
Also read: TV Picture Flickering
Voice feature troubleshooting
The Sony TV remote can be troubleshooted using a different method if its voice feature doesn’t work.
You must do the following:
- Look at the status light to see if the MIC button is working. A status light can be found on the top front of the remote.
- It is indicated by an amber LED that the remote and TV are not connected.
- Reset your TV by pressing the power button.
- Additionally, you will need to repair your remote for voice command.
- Press the HOME button on the remote.
- Select Settings from the menu.
There are three remote control options on most TVs: Remote Control, Remote & Accessories, and Voice Remote Control.
- Choose the appropriate setting on your TV.
- Neither Remote Control nor Remote and Accessories support connection via Bluetooth.
- Voice Remote Control is only needed if the MIC button is pressed.
Note: An insufficient or no battery remote control can prevent pairing.
Restart your Sony TV
There are sometimes problems with Sony TVs, but not with the remote.
You can try these things:
- Make sure your TV has a power outlet nearby.
- A TV can be turned on by pressing the Power button.
- You should be able to see the status light if you can operate the Sony TV.
- If a red blinking light appears when you press the TV buttons, you need to perform a power-cycle. Hold the power button for two minutes while unplugging the TV to resolve the problem. Holding the power button for two minutes and unplugging the TV will resolve the problem.
- After reconnecting your TV, it can now be powered on.
- After you have reset your TV, you should be able to use the remote.
In order to perform a factory reset on a Sony Android TV, you simply have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds.
Your TV’s software needs to be updated
For smart TVs to function properly, regular updates are required. A malfunctioning remote may result if updates are not completed on a regular basis.
By checking for software updates, you can ensure your television is up to date.
You are unlikely to have an issue caused by outdated software, but it can sometimes disrupt remote connectivity.
Check your TV’s mode
When the TV or remote isn’t causing the problem, but the source or mode is wrong, neither the TV nor the remote is at fault.
If you are having trouble using your remote to change channels, follow these steps:
- Use your remote to press Input.
- There are four types of HDMI: HDMI3, Blu Ray, HDMI2, and HDMI1. Depending on how you connect your TV, you will have to use one of these.
- If either of these modes is selected, your TV’s remote will not be able to change channels. Thus, the TV setting on your remote needs to be switched back.
- Change the channel now.
What to do when you need a new Sony TV remote
If you sit repeatedly on the circuit board, or water gets inside the device, or falls on the remote control, it can damage the circuit board for a long time.
Your Sony remote will likely have to be replaced in that case.
Sony TV remote controls are available on Amazon in high-quality. New remote controls range in price from 20 to 40 USD, depending on features and model.
When buying a remote control, confirm it is compatible with the model number of the television you have.
Also read: How to Download Apps on Philips Smart TV?
Sony TV remote controls don’t need to be replaced after many years of use. Occasionally, they may malfunction, however.
Here’s what you can do if you can’t use your Sony TV remote:
- Wait 60 seconds before replacing the batteries after removing them
- Replace the batteries with new ones
- Ensure that the remote receiver of your TV is unobstructed
- By repeatedly pressing the buttons on the remote, you can unjam it
- It is necessary to pair your remote via Bluetooth in order to restore voice control
- For 2 minutes, unplug your Sony TV and then plug it back in.
- Your TV’s software needs to be updated
- Make sure your TV is set to the correct input
In the event that none of the steps above work, you may need to buy a new Sony TV remote.
Can you tell me how you fixed your Sony remote? Tell me in the comments!