I randomly experienced almost three black screens when testing different universal remotes earlier this year for my TCL TV.
My TCL TV has many products I review and it became clear this would be a problem later on.
I tried several fixes, spoke with TCL support, and researched online, but I couldn’t resolve the issue.
My guide contains detailed instructions on how to fix your black TCL TV based on what I found and did.
Restarting your TCL TV will fix the black screen problem. In case the problem persists, you may need to replace your HDMI cable.
Also read: Hitachi TV Won’t Turn On
This article also includes instructions on how to reset your TCL TV.
Possible causes of TCL TV black screens
To troubleshoot a black screen of death, you need to figure out what the underlying problem is.
If Your HDMI cable may be faulty because you’re unable to display an image on the TV.
Another possible cause is the TV’s backlight failing. Most televisions rely on their backlight for illumination, and if it fails, a black screen can result.
Your device or TV may be affected by a software bug.
You don’t need to worry, I am making fixing any problems with your TV as simple as possible.
Restart the TV and remote
Whenever you are following a troubleshooting guide, you should restart the machine to get things back on track. The power cycle may be required in this case.
The device should be turned off and on vigorously for a minute and then plugged back in after disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply.
If If you became unfamiliar with a set-up change or automatic setting that caused your TV to go black, you may need to perform a power cycle for it to work again.
You can power cycle your TCL TV by following these steps:
- The television should be turned off. The TV should have no status lights on.
- Wait a few minutes after unplugging the TV.
- Restart the TV once it has been reconnected
You can power cycle the remote by following these steps:
- It is necessary to remove the batteries from the remote.
- Take a moment to think about it.
- Batteries should be reinstalled.
See if you have fixed the problem by recreating your actions at the time when you saw the black screen. When using the TV normally, you may notice the black screen appears again.
Alternate methods for power cycling the TV
An alternative method can be used if the power cycle method described above does not work.
I would appreciate a paper clip or something similar on hand. Then:
- Turn off your TV and unplug it from the wall.
- Reset the TV by pressing the reset button on its side. The hole can only be filled with a paperclip.
- For at least 30 seconds, hold the reset button.
- Your television needs to be restarted.
Verify that the problem has been resolved by repeating the exact scenario.
Restart the TV with the remote
TCL Roku TVs are the only ones that work with this method. You can restart the TV with some key combinations on the remote.
Step-by-step instructions can be followed to implement this combination.
- Press the Home button five times
- After pressing the Up button,
- Rewind by double-clicking twice
- Fast forward twice by double-clicking
Once you have entered the combination correctly, the TV will restart. Try restarting it again to determine if the problem persists.
Also read: Sony TV Remote Not Working
Cable connections should be checked
As I mentioned earlier, screens that are black can be caused by loose connections or damaged cables. Look at the back of the television to ensure that all connections are secure.
It Getting a new HDMI cable makes sense since your old one is getting worn out.
Despite the fact that the HDMI cable that came with the TV may work, you might want to consider replacing it with one from a trustworthy brand, such as Belkin.
The Belkin UltraHD HDMI cable is the one you need to purchase.
The gold plating ensures that it will last a long time. It also runs at a fast speed, preventing display latencies.
Since Android TVs joined the ecosystem, television software has received frequent updates, and TCL TV is no different.
It Updating your TV also makes sense because updates fix both major and minor problems all the time.
Firmware updates are relatively easy to check and install on Android TVs since a software update updates the TV’s firmware.
Here are the steps you need to follow to update your TCL Android TV:
- The Settings menu can be accessed by pressing the Home button on your remote.
- Select More Settings in the Settings menu.
- More information about your device can be found by selecting Preferences>About.
- Go to System Update to update your system
- From the menu, choose Network Update.
- We will check for and, if necessary, download software updates.
- Once the process is complete, click OK to confirm.
Adjust Fast Start Option
Black screens have been reported to be resolved by enabling or disabling the Fast Start feature of the TCL TV, according to online forums.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to enable it if you had disabled it or how to disable it otherwise.
These steps will help you set up your TCL Roku TV:
- The Roku TV remote has a Home button. Press it.
- Select Settings > System from the menu.
- The Fast TV Start option is available
- Fast TV Start may be activated or deactivated as needed.
TCL TVs running Android:
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Make a choice about the power source
- Make sure that “Instant power on” is set as appropriate.
By restarting the TV, you can check if the problem has been resolved.
Reset the TV to factory settings
Since every setting and logged-in account will be reset by a factory reset, it should only be done as a last resort.
In addition, you’ll have to reconnect to your WiFi network once you’ve gone through the initial setup process.
A factory reset can be performed on TCL Roku TVs
- You can choose a setting
- Click the System link at the bottom of the page
- From the Advanced settings, select Factory Reset.
- All settings should be reset to factory defaults.
- By entering the code displayed on the screen, a factory reset can be performed.
Restoring the Android TV’s factory defaults can be accomplished by following these steps:
- Pressing the settings button will take you to the home screen.
- If you want to reset your device, go to More Settings > Device Preferences > Reset.
- Your device will be reset to factory settings.
- If you select Erase Everything, everything will be erased.
- After you have entered the PIN, click OK.
Also read: What Is MoCA Xfinity?
TVs from TCL are excellent for the price they cost. You can get all the features you need with the Sony or LG TV you want without spending too much.
TVs are not the only devices that can malfunction. Roku remotes malfunction from time to time, but they are easy to fix.
If you are a first-time buyer of a smart home entertainment system, the Android TVs and Roku televisions from TCL are excellent choices.
Frequently Asked Questions
What causes the bottom of my TCL TV to blink?
As Once the TV begins its startup process, downloads an update from USB, or switches to standby mode, a blinking light will appear. There is no problem with this and it is completely normal.
What is the process of resetting a TCL TV?
When a TV is reset, its original settings are restored. The TV will be reset to its original settings.
What can you do if your HDMI screen is black?
The HDMI cable should be unplugged from the TV and reconnect. Wait 30 seconds before reconnecting. Wait 30 seconds before reconnecting.
Is it possible for a black screen to result from overheating on a computer?
Overheating can cause computers to shut down. As a result, the computer temperature is regulated so that it is not harmful to it.
Also read: Why Does My TV Say No Signal?